You are able to activate automated background checks through Opportunities when using the Checkr or Sterling Volunteers background check integrations.
Note: If you already have Checkr or Sterling Volunteers integrated, skip to the next step.
First, you need to activate either the Checkr or Sterling Volunteers background check integrations. If you use a different system than either of these integrations, you will not be able to turn on automated background checks through Opportunities.
- Open your Integrations dashboard.
- Select either Checkr or the Sterling Volunteers logos.
- Then, follow the steps in the following articles to get them connected:
- Once you set up either Checkr or Sterling Volunteers, you should see that company's background check packages as an option when you click next to a user's name in your People list.
Next, go to your Org Settings, scroll down and open Show Advanced Options. In the advanced options you will see a setting called Background Check Setting with two (2) settings to adjust. Let's talk about these options:
Default background check expiration length? This setting allows you to choose the default length that a background check status lasts for each volunteer. Choose from 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years as the default length. The day a background check comes back "Clear" for a volunteer is when the expiration timer begins. One the same day 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years in the future, their background check status will change to say "Expired".
Opportunities require background check? This setting gives you as an Admin the option to establish a default requirement for all Opportunities. The options to select from are:
Off by default - Opportunity settings stay at their current normal state. The Opportunity Owner will be allowed to choose whether background checks are required for their Opportunity or not. This setting will not automate background checks.
On by default - By default, the Background Check Required setting is turned on for every new Opportunity created but does not force the Opportunity Owner to use it. They will have the option to turn off background checks for their Opportunity in their advanced options.
Always required - When this option is selected, every Opportunity is forced to required background checks. The Opportunity Owners will not be able to turn off the Background Check Required setting in their Opportunity.
When On by default and Always required options are selected, they will activate an additional setting in your Org Settings. The additional third setting gives you the ability to select a single (1) background check package from your Checkr or Sterling Volunteers integration that you wish to automate with Opportunity registration. (The screenshot below is an example of an organization using Checkr with at least seventeen (17) different packages to choose from. Only one of those can be automated on their Opportunities.)
After selecting the package from the list you want to automate on your Opportunities, finish navigating other Advanced Options and then click the Update Organization Info button in the top right corner.
Three important things to remember:
- Automating a background check on your Opportunity means that EVERY volunteer that does NOT have a status will be AUTOMATICALLY sent a new background check link from either your Checkr or Sterling Volunteers integration when they join a Opportunity that requires a background check.
- You can only select ONE package to automate on your Opportunities. This automated feature is meant to simplify your process and eliminate excess manual work. If you have different background checks for different purposes, you will need to process those manually using the standard method of background checking volunteers.
- If you do NOT have an integration with Checkr or Sterling Volunteers you will not be able to automate background checks and the only option you see will be "None".
Opportunity Advanced Options
Finally, go to your Opportunities and edit a current one or create a new one. Scroll down to the Advanced Options and look for the approval setting called Background Check Required and select the box. This will activate the requirement for all volunteers that wish to join your Opportunity to have the status to be approved to serve. If a volunteer does NOT have that status, the Opportunity will automatically send them an email from your Checkr or Sterling Volunteers integration to get background checked. (Remember, if you do not have an integration with Checkr or Sterling Volunteers, this automation will NOT occur.)
To complete the set up process, finish adjusting the settings for your Opportunity and then click the Publish or Update button in the top right corner of the page. Now your Opportunity will automate background checks for new volunteers that join.