Organizers who use Opportunities to recruit, manage, and communicate with their volunteers have several tools (some automated and some manual) to communicate to Volunteers signed up for their Opportunities or in their People Groups. Communication in the platform is sent to users via email, SMS text messaging, and push notifications through the VOMO App.
How Each Notification Is Sent
|New Volunteer Invites and Welcome series||X|
|Shared Opportunities to a Group||X||X||X|
|Joining an Opportunity Confirmation||X||X||X|
|Volunteer approved to serve on an Opportunity||X||X||X|
|48 and 1-hour upcoming serving time reminders||X||X||X|
|Serving Date changes and cancellations||X||X||X|
|Volunteer assigned to an Opportunity||X||X||X|
|Complete a background check||X|
|Phone Number verified in a user profile||X|
* A volunteer also has the option to unsubscribe from some of these emails and opt out of SMS text messages as well. Below are the different types of updates and notifications a volunteer will receive.
Some are Automated
Automated notifications are sent based on actions that volunteers take. For example, when they create their user account for the first time or signup for an Opportunity. The most common notification is a welcome email that is sent to new volunteers. An SMS, email, and push notification will be sent to volunteers when they join an Opportunity as well as 48-hour and 1-hour reminders before the serving time begins.
When a user is invited to join by an Admin or Organizer of the organization, they will receive an invitation series of emails as well as reminder emails to accept and create their profile. Once the user account is created, a four-part welcome series of emails are sent. This welcome series talks about the volunteer movement and key aspects of using a new volunteer account. You can unsubscribe from both invitation and welcome series emails, but that will not opt you out of the system emails for Opportunities and Updates mentioned in this article.
Some Are Sent Manually
Manual notifications will come from two different places, Group messages and Opportunity Updates.
- Group messaging allows for members to share Opportunities and messages in real time to a Group that has been created by the Admin in the Admin Dashboard for the organization. Group Messaging is currently only sent to members via push notifications through the VOMO App. Shared Opportunities in Group Messaging are also sent as one-time email communications as well as via SMS and push notifications as well. Group messaging is NOT sent via email or SMS right now. Learn more about Group Messaging here.
- Opportunity Updates are sent from the Opportunity Dashboard by an Opportunity Owner via SMS, email, and push notification to the volunteers of their choosing within the Opportunity they are sending updates from. Learn more about updates here.
* You will notice an opt-out link on Opportunity Update emails so that you can unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive them. Click the link and unsubscribe from future Opportunity Update emails on this specific Opportunity. Note that if you unsubscribe and then join a Serving Date on the same Opportunity at a later date, you will be re-enrolled in Opportunity Update Emails.
Volunteer Assignment Emails
- Sent to a volunteer when an Admin/Organizer assigns them an Opportunity Serving Date(s) from the Admin Dashboard. Assignee has the option to accept/decline the assignment.
- If the assignee Accepts the invitation, he/she gets a confirmation email (see below) and the participation changes from Assigned to Confirmed in the Admin Dashboard.
- If the assignee declines the assignment, the Admin/Organizer gets an email that the volunteer has declined and the participation is deleted in the Admin Dashboard.